Thursday, July 25, 2019
Lashing in this HOT Weather is always challenging. For most of us, summertime is the best time of the year for sunbathing, socialising, relaxing and holidays. But for us eyelash technicians it often spells disaster if you don't know what to do.
All semi-permanent eyelash extension adhesives need moisture and heat to set correctly. The heat helps the adhesive to dry, and humidity causes a chemical reaction in the glue to help it set. Each adhesive will be designed to work under ideal conditions, and when your environment gets hotter or colder, wetter or drier, the glue will behave differently.
Eye Love Lashes 6 Top Tips for Eyelash Extensions:
- Know your environment, every eyelash technician should have a Therma-Hygrometer. It lets you know your room air temperature and humidity. It will let you know if you have a problem with the room temperature or humidity so you can open the window, switch the fan on, use an air conditioning unit, or humidifier or dehumidifier.
- Manage your environment as step 1 to best suit your Eyelash Adhesive. Our Eyelash Adhesives work best between 40% - 70% and between 20-27 degrees C. Other manufacturers adhesives will have different 'sweet spots', but you can expect them to be similar to this range.
- Have a couple of glues on hand. Faster drying lash glues such as our Platinum Adhesive may cure to quick for your speed of lashing in this heat. If you find this use a 2-3 second glue such as our Gold Adhesive to give you more time to attach the eyelash extensions.
- Manage your use of adhesive. On a hot and humid day, put out smaller drops of glue every few minutes. Work your way around the stone and make a new drop each time. Never add adhesive to the same drop or top up the same adhesive cup. As soon as the adhesive is exposed, it will start to cure. Adding more adhesive doesn't stop the curing process, and your drop will become gloopy, affecting its strength and make it challenging to work with.
- Storage. Eye Love Lashes strongly advise storing adhesives in a cool dark place where temperature fluctuations are unlikely to occur. So never leave your eyelash kits in the car or in direct sunlight. Once opened, eyelash adhesives should never be stored in the fridge. If a new bottle has been kept in the refrigerator, bring it up to room temperature over several hours before opening. This stops condensation on the inside of the container. Lash adhesives should be stored in a cool, dry, dark place, away from other products, a perfect storage solution is a wide-mouthed vacuum flask. You can also put a little bag of dry rice or silica gel in the container to ensure it stays dry.
- Shake your adhesive even more! The warmer weather makes the adhesive ingredients harder to mix. Make sure you vigorously shake your adhesives before every use. Otherwise, by the time you reach the second half of the bottle, it'll be no good.
My personal experience working from my home: My lash room is at the front of my house, and the sun rises at the back. My temperature is around 20-23 Degrees Celsius, and my humidity is within the optimum conditions between 45%-55% in the mornings. In these conditions and in all other seasons, I personally use our Platinum Eyelash Adhesive for Classics and Eyelash Ace Clear Glue for my Russians.
In the afternoon the sun goes over my house, and the sun shines directly into my lash-room, the temperature goes up to about 25 - 27 Degrees Celsius and the humidity goes low, this is when I use our Gold Eyelash Adhesive as it has a slower drying time of 2-3 seconds.
This time of year is possibly the toughest for Eyelash Artists, its also not very comfortable when you are very heavily pregnant as I am now lol. I hope these top tips help your lashing. Please contact me for advice, keep your eyelash room well-ventilated and use tools such as air-conditioning, hydrometers, humidifiers, dehumidifiers to combat poor eyelash retention.
Megan Thomas, Eye Love Lashes